Derk Pereboom claims that free will is impossible because of its incompatibility with both determinism and indeterminism. Also he defends a robust nonreductive physicalism. It says that although consciousness can’t be reduced to physical it’s not something over and above physical.
The interview was taken by Vadim Vasiliev and Dmitry Volkov. Below you’ll see a list of questions of the interview.
1. The most influential books
2. What are the differences between notions of moral responsibility and basic desert?
3. Which type of punishment should be eliminated if we find out that there is no justification for basic desert?
4. Is indignation as a reaction on wrongdoing a kind of irrational emotion?
5. How was the manipulation argument invented?
6. Why you’ve recently changed a presentation of the first case of Manipulation Argument?
7. How does the problem of free will relate to the problem of mental causation?
8. Could the problem of personal identity pose difficulties for moral responsibility and for basic desert? And why causal determinism is at the focus of free will debate?
9. Is there a real difference between hard incompatibilist’s position and that of compatibilists?
10. Can you list or name some differences and similarities between you and Daniel Dennett?
11. Could cognitive science and neuroscience eliminate the discussion on free will?
12. What is a definition of mental?
13. What were the most important changes of your views?
14. What is meaning of life?
15. What is your current research?
In this a Russian version of interview, where Chalmers answer our tricky questions about how he came to philosophy, what is his current views on the nature of consciousness, whether zombies can be morally responsible, how the Universe is arranged, what would it mean – the creation of artificial intelligence, and what is the purpose of philosophy.
In this interview, Chalmers answer our tricky questions about how he came to philosophy, what is his current views on the nature of consciousness, whether zombies can be morally responsible, how the Universe is arranged, what would it mean – the creation of artificial intelligence, and what is the purpose of philosophy.
lang_ru]Выкладываем первую лекцию курса “Сознание и мозг: последний рубеж”! Этот курс читается сейчас в МГУ силами Центра нейронаук и когнитивных наук МГУ и нашего Центра. Лекцию читает известный отечественный нейроученый Константин Анохин.
The Moscow Center for Consciousness Studies (MCCS) is hosting a summer school on June 23d – July 1st, 2018, which will be devoted to the problem of Personal Identity. This year summer school will be led by philosopher Prof. Richard Swinburne of the University of Oxford.
In 2015, we conducted an online-survey of Russian philosophers and published the preliminary results. Now we offer you a detailed analysis of this survey, which also contains a comparison of its results with a similar survey of the English-speaking philosophical community. The materials on the survey and a roundtable discussion about it were published in the journal “Bulletin of Moscow University”, they are attached in pdf files.
Within the project “Brainstorming” at the end of last year, SciOne made a video “What if everything is predetermined?” about the problem of free will with Dmitry Volkov, co-director of our Center. In response, a mass of comments and questions followed. Dmitry answers the most interesting of them in that second video of the project.
At the seminar “The Brain and Mind” of the Center for Neuroscience and Cognitive Sciences of MSU the co-director of our Center Professor Vadim Vasiliev gave a talk “Paradoxes of Mental Causality.” In this lecture, Vasiliev expounds his point of view on the mind-body problem and on one of the most important its component – mental causation.
Together with SciOne, we made a small project, where scientists and philosophers answered four questions: on consciousness, neuroscience, free will, and philosophy. Watch the first video with Maria Falikman, PhD, Head of the Department of Psychology at the Higher School of Economics.